It was midnight last night when Khrys informed me that she had forwarded a link to me about the trickery of getting us all hooked on internet games. Well, that's no surprise. Some of us know we spend way too much time with them, but we aren't actually addicted to them. Are we?? Do you know who B F Skinner is...the psychologist who took a different than Freud spin on psychology and presented Behaviorism to the world? These games work on that principle, that is that with random reinforcement or reward of performing a task, your poor little mind will seek to repeat that task over and over in hopes of being rewarded again, however randomly. Think about it. That is exactly how these games work. We keep clicking that mouse all day long hoping at some time we will get more points, or a bigger car to drive, or extra large pumpkins to harvest, whatever. What saps we are! The game producers know they must find a way to make money with cyberspace players who no longer purchase the fun directly, you see. So, they actually employ creative geniuses to plan how to entrap our minds so completely that we never turn the computer off. I confess to having experience with that dilemma. There have been times when I've consciously said to myself, "Just push the off button...Now." It's crazy. There is also fact to ponder that tells us the brain actually believes it is actively creating and doing and organizing and fighting and winning, etc for real!! It can't tell the difference!! Hmmm.....wonder what that's saying about those shoot 'em, blow'em up type games. Anyway, the link is below, and although this site likes to have a lot of fun informing you of such things, they are always talking about real subjects giving their readers a lot to think about. And I suppose I am confessing here to being very near addiction with Farmville. There are a couple of people I know that are addicted to playing games, and several others who might be getting there. Here's the link......
www.cracked.com
6 years ago
1 comment:
I read that Rosalie. It kind of gave me the creeps because I love to play solitaire and sometimes it's hard to quit. I work at it all the time though - art helps and I have a lot of things I'm working on. Have a great day. Diane
Post a Comment