Me, with Mama and sisters.
My first view of the world was in the LDS Hospital in 1948. But my enthusiasm for doing that is suspect. I must have been trying to hang on yet a little while because I was born feet first, apparantly trying to scramble back into safety. It was a rough day for my mother. In those days, if a baby was being born breach, the attending doctors and nurses would actually get above the delivering mother and PUSH against her, trying to turn the infant around. I wonder if the horror of that technique ever worked. It didn't work for us. I was born backwards on June 23. And I'm still quite often doing things the round-about way. My parents named me Rosalie, which is preferable over Amaryllis, I think, which was their alternate choice.
For the first twenty years of my life I heard of only one other person with the name Rosalie. Nobody had that name. It often had to be repeated or spelled and almost all my cousins, aunts, and uncles would say it leaving out the 'A'. That does not sound pretty. However, the fact that it was a bit unique has shaped me somewhat. I usually like what's different or not favored by most, and I've always thought of myself as not the usual sort of person. I've always wanted to be unique. Probably everyone does, and that defeats my theory here. But I was reading in 'the red book' by David Brooks that I've mentioned before, that name sounds can have a lot of influence on the possessors of said names. This author has information saying, for example, there is a disproportionate number of dentists with the names Deniece or Dennis, and lawyers with the name Lawrence. Being named Rosalie leaves one...or develops one... with a need to be less like everyone else. Someone googled my name once and came up with the old 1930's [?] movie titled Rosalie. Darned if the main character wasn't named Rosalie Dean. And guess what?! That is my maiden name!! Maybe Mama, and Daddy who is a Dean, liked the movie. They never mentioned anything about it, but I can't help wondering. I like my name now, not because of the movie, and I've known a few other girls with the same name. Also, it is usually pronounced with the "A" and sometimes a bit of lingering on the last syllable. That makes it nice, even a bit unique. It suits me just fine.
5 comments:
A fun read. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Belated Birthday Rosalie. Interesting thoughts. Your poor mother. Some of the things that were done in days gone by are terrible.
Names are interesting. I think Rosalie is a pretty name, very feminine. Since you brought it up I'm going to do a post about my name today.
That is Way Cool, Diane. I am anxious to read about you. And thank you so much for the compliment. I am buzzing over to your place right now.
I am quite stunned..........you, with the beautiful, unique name, were unhappy with Rosalie? And Amarylis....never heard that story before! I have always been jealous that you got the prettiest name of all of us. Not to mention the fact that there are several very lovely china patterns that bear your name. one of them being very similar to Grandma's pattern with the gold trim and the flowers in the center. Your name has life...vibrance....marie...quite blah. hmmmmmmmm, hmmmmmmmm. Maybe that's what happened to me! blah, blah blah..........
Marie.... you're nuts!!! Your name is beautiful and classic and everybody likes it. At least we know now how you feel about it. You are far from hmmmm, hmmm, Girl. Thank you for sharing how you feel.
Post a Comment