HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Saturday, June 11, 2011

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

Papabear and I went to see MIDNIGHT IN PARIS this Saturday afternoon. This is a film directed by Woody Allen and stars Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kurt Fuller, and Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein. Wilson plays a writer who is in Paris with his fiance and her parents. Through a bit of magic he is whisked off to the 1920's where he meets everyone who was an aspiring artist or writer at the time. The film is well directed...Allen's style shows through just a bit once in awhile...but the whole magic spell is not overdone or too hard to believe. Everything just plays out at a really nice pace. What is spellbinding are the picturesque shots of Paris. Now I know why it is indeed known as the most beautiful city in the world. The cinematography is awesome, as is the play of so many artists and literary giants of the time [the 20's]. Kathy Bates, for example, plays Gertrude Stein who is neither charming nor adoreable....she just is. All of this experience just is, yet I found myself loveing the hairstyles and longing to copy the fashion...oh those dresses!!!!!! Scenes that took place at marketplaces and antique stores elicit such a longing to go shopping immediately. All the talk about books and authors gave me cravings for libraries and bookstores. I need to read more. It is a beautiful movie to look at. And just when I found myself wondering what was to be learned, because it is about inner perspection, even that was nicely dealt with. Unless all you like is adventure, spies, or carchases, etc. I can almost guarantee you will feel rewarded for seeing this one. It is enjoyable....that's the best word I can think of to describe it. See it for yourself...it's an indulgence.


6 comments:

Judie and George said...

Sounds fun. I went to a play in Seattle this week, "Sense and Sensibility." It was fun. I think it's the first time I've done anything totally frivolous in a long time. The mission has been very time-consuming. I hope things are going well for you. Are you getting used to your new little place? I am enjoying not having to look outside and think I need to weed. Allergies are bad this year, so I don't feel very good.

Benjamin said...

So, you went to a Woody Allen film, eh? That's fun, and funny to me for some reason. Woody Allen films can get quite tedious to me, especially the more recent ones. He's really hit and miss. I'll take your word for it on this one, though. I like Owen Wilson, so maybe that'll help. I imagine he plays the requisite neurotic since Woody Allen himself doesn't have a role?

Anyway, it's fun to see you talking about a movie on here. I keep wanting to call you up and demand that you see this film or that film. I only hesitate because I don't much think you'll really do it, even if I do call. Am I wrong?

Diane said...

You can not believe how long it's been since I went to the movies. This one sounds like a delicious treat. So glad you enjoyed it. Diane

Alicia said...

I am dying to see this movie! Trying to convince my husband to come along with me! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.

Alicia
Belle Maison Et Moi

Fish Flower Star said...

Great recommendation. Sounds like exactly what I have hoped it would. I love movies that make you want to read more, be more, travel more, see more beauty.

Fish Flower Star said...

Love the new photo, too. What are those, wild roses?

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.