HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

ARE THOSE ROSES??


A couple of you have asked if those are roses above in the header. Yes they are. We always called them Wild Roses. They grow very thick and heavy with thorns and make good hedges where you might want to prevent animals or people from sneaking into your yard. I am convinced they are what comprises Brer Rabbits Briar Patch because you would not want to fall into or against them.
Around here they are often found growing along backways and just off property lines. They are wild or volunteers, as Mama called them and bloom profusely just once in the summer, usually in clusters that sometimes resemble butterballs. It is difficult to get hold of them to pick some, so usually they are mostly admired out of doors where they wish to be. I'm not sure anyone actually claims to own the bushes...they grow so independently.

My greatGrandmother had these in front of her house in Star Valley. [This memory for me goes back almost sixty years mind you.] My sister would take me to the old empty house to see them when they bloomed, and we did pick a few stems. The bush was more of a hedge that covered all across the front of the house and looked just huge to me and it smelled so good, but not really like perfume, but distinctly, kind of like earth. My grandpa had these bushes in his yard too and both sets of grands also had huge lilac bushes. It was heavenly. When I see posts of lilacs, it is sheer bliss and brings back such happy feelings. My photos of these yellow roses are some growing along the backroads in Salt Lake City. I look for them every year. They're my favorites.

The photo above is of Gammie's house where the roses grew. It was old and abandoned when this shot was taken. That is moi riding my tricycle in the road.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love them too, Rosalie. They bring back childhood memories, they're so old-fashioned and beautiful. Love your old photo, that's really a treasure. Blessings, Diane

Judie and George said...

They are beautiful. I love volunteers. That's what my grandma called them too. So that's what I call them.

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.