HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Saturday, October 18, 2008

A'SHOPPING WE WILL GO.............

This is the weekend the downtown library has it's used books sale. What a great time for bibliophiles. There must have been a million books on sale, mostly for a dollar or less each. You could buy them by the basketsfull if you wanted to. The only drawback is that when you get them home, they need a shelf to sit on. You all know that in my house, there is a waiting line of books that need shelves.

I was hoping to find a Thomas B. Costain book about the Plantagenets, anything at all. And there it was, sitting so pretty on the shelf, just waiting for me...[The Magnificent Century]. It's a very nice book, in great condition, nice red linen cover with what I assume is the family crest embalzoned on the cover, not worn at all. I fell in love. The book focuses on the life of Henry 111 of England, son of King John and father of Edward 1. I recieved [The Three Edwards] in the mail last week by Costain. That was exciting too. Now I have two more to collect.

I also picked up a gardening book by Jerry Baker for $3.00 and one for jak about being pregnant. Khrystibear brought home a lot, and some really good ones I would never have thought of grabbing. I lost count but she only spent about $12.00. What a shopping trip! They're having a Holiday Mini Sale in December. Save your change and check it out.

2 comments:

Judie and George said...

Well, I'm impressed! Wish I could have gone with you. I do have a slight problem about not being able to resist books. Costain is a real coup! I have the 3 Edwards and the Conquering Family. I'd like to have all of them and have been thinking about used bookstores. I have also been thinking that my bookshelves are bulging. If we ever get this house sold, I am getting more bookshelves for the new, smaller house! Go figure -- a smaller house lined with bookshelves. Sounds like heaven to me.

mudderbear said...

I wish you could have been there too. Do you suppose we would have had any knock-down dragout fights over a book....just kidding. We're much too composed for that.
I have so many books, sometimes I wonder what I'm doing with them all. And lately Papabear has taken us to Barnes&Noble on Saturdays for a look around. Naturally, you can't leave there emptyhanded. So now, I'm reading four at a time. I'll really have to get busy.
Have you discovered Librarything.com ? There's one for you. You list all your books and it prints up your library onscreen,complete with cover pictures and editing info, counts them, prints reviews,even creates a gallery for you with pictures of the authors you read. You can try for free giveaways on the EarlyReviewer group. You might like it....or it might drive you crazy, because you will become obsessed with cataloging every book you can get your hands on. Just what you need, huh?

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.