
I know someone who is addicted to pain killers. I've known her for a long time. Over time this once dear friend withdraws more and more into her own little world where she stays, pretty much all of the time.
Just a moment ago, Krush and I mentioned how lonely it must be for people who live by themselves. We know several. They have no one to say "good night" to, or talk to first thing in the day. I confessed I worry about this friend who lives by herself, never goes out, and rarely calls. It must be sad for her. I also worry because she takes a lot of pills. But, apparently what we've learned about addiction...from another situation and person, entirely, so don't get wrong ideas about anyone...is that an addicted person withdraws more and more into a world of her own and might actually *want* to be by herself day after day. Her life is all about the drugs. Forgive me for overreacting, but, my word!! Isn't that like the animals do? [ Should I be typing this???] They just forage for food ['painkillers'] and have less and less to do with family or friends ! They hide out, afraid to be discovered. I've noticed my friend has almost nothing to do with anyone anymore and when she does, she seems to have difficulty showing interest in other people. It's kind of like petting the dog who accepts your attention without giving
much to your needs.
I can feel a scream inside that wants to escape from me and come out and clear the air. [Might be that I'm hungry...^~^) Scream...make the evil go away!! Talk about losing one's soul ! Efforts have been made to coax my friend out into the open so she can be rehabilitated, but she is in denial and refuses to think about it. And she must make that decision for herself. As she drifts further and further out to sea, we who are standing on the beach become more and more impossible to hear. And you can't just toss little rocks at the sea to stop a tidal wave. You'd better keep yourself on high ground. All this is old stuff now. But realizing a loved one's personality slips further and further away really is frightening.
I hope I haven't touched a nerve in any of you who read this. It's just such a sad situation.
4 comments:
Eloquently put.
While I don't know what else to do, and probably feel quite inadequate to do it anyway, I feel incredibly frustrated that it does no good to throw the rocks. It feels wrong to walk away to higher ground when someone is drowning. But when any efforts would just take you down too, that IS all you can do. Aaagh!
Losing one's soul. Yes, that is hell.
Hmmmmmmm. Agree with Ben, beautifully expressed. I am seeing if this will post. Hope so. Keep writing.
Hey...it worked. Sorry for messing up your page. I do think it is important to keep up contact and interest with as long as we can maintain control of our situation. Well, I could blubber on this sort of thing, but I won't bore you. Looking forward to more writing from you. I do miss the old set up. I don't do well with change.. can't teach old dogs new tricks and such.
Post a Comment