HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Sunday, June 19, 2011

MOVIE VIEWS

I watched REVOLUTIONARY ROAD a day or two ago. It stars LEONARDO DI CAPRIO AND KATE WINSLET. It's a vintage style story of a married couple who are striving for happiness and fulfillment in their lives. Set in the 50's, that part is fun to watch because those movies have such a definite style. Set before all the social change of the sixties, it leaves the husband..DiCaprio...and wife...Winslet...frustrated and reaching for the something that is missing in their world. I felt bad for the wife who needs so badly to be something more. The husband leaves me less sympathetic because he can't understand her. Still, my thoughts go up and down and back and forth, just like the onscreen lives and leave me unsettled for most of the story, just as the characters are. It is a good screenplay when the director...Sam Mendes... makes the audience feel what is happening onscreen. I don't know that I like this one so much, because it's such a story of frustration. But it is a good story, and it's done very well. You have to appreciate that.

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

I saw this one a while back, largely because I was so impressed with Sam Mendes' earlier work. I agree that it was excellently done, but not exactly full-on enjoyable in that it's full of negative emotion. If I remember right, I thought both lead actors were quite superb.

sagebrushandsneezes said...

Haven't seen the movie, but I wonder if the wives of the fifties were as disatisfied with their lives as we are disatisfied for them?

JoAnna said...

Good point Sagebrush.
I wanted to see this movie but not sure I want the negative side of it. Would you recommend it to me personally?

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.