HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Librarything is a fun club for bibliomaniacs. I joined the EARLY REVIEWERS club. They send me books to read and review. I have just started reading the latest send, [COPING WITH POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER by Cheryl A. Roberts]. I have hardly read past the Introduction, but that much is quite interesting. And it has occured to me why some of us, women, do not want to read books like Siberian Education [see older blog posts] or, like me, can't bring my self to watch Mel Gibson's movie about Christ's crucifixion or see Schindler's List. When another person is trying to help another overcome their traumatic experience, it is possible that the helping person will also begin to incorporate the stress into themselves, feeling what the victim is feeling. So I ask you, are we not, as women, extremely likely to want to help victims and do we not feel things [probably] before having any other response? So if these books or films, or even conversations create in us something we automatically resist, are we not reacting with a survival response in trying to avoid it? There are things I cannot even hear about without becoming almost physically ill. There is stuff from movies and/or books that still haunts me. I cannot bear it. Anyway, I am off on a tangent, but to Marie and Diane who refuse to read books that tell awful tales, you are right to ignore them. And there appears to be very good reason to do so because women are more sensitive in this way. Anyway, that's my opinion...thought you might be interested... and it's true. ^.^)

Addendum: comment on the comments. I think all of you ladies are wonderful women. All of you are truly amazing and really great role models for everyone, especially me, and I am thankful for it. I love you all. ^.^)

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Rosalie, Since I worked for a church for about 25 years, I did alot of counseling and helping others who were in pain or struggling... YES--it was easy to take on their pain, but as hard as it was, I had to rise ABOVE it --and try to help them with my head and not with my heart...

The other side of that coin is when we who help others lose a little of our compassion when people keep falling back into the same patterns and bad choices over and over (which happens so much).... That was even harder.

Just my thoughts.
Hugs,
Betsy

Diane said...

Thanks Rosalie - it's called HEAD IN SAND! I think it's so great that you do read these books, though. Hope things are going well for you today. Rainy and cold here. When it turns warm it will be 95 degrees and I'll be dying. Take care, Diane

June said...

Hi Rosalie,
It's been aong time since our last chat. SO sorry I have been away so long.
I think I'm a little hardened in this area because of being the wife of a police officer. When my husband comes home from an awful fatality or a child abuse case he needs to talk it out and I love being there for him. Sometimes it's hard to hear about what he saw or felt, but I am happy that he feels he can share his burden of heartache. I have learned over the years to know how much I can take and I try to not stress myself otherwise with less important things.

I too have many movies I won't watch because of the violence, but I love a good scary movie once in awhile.lol! My kids think I'm nuts!
hugs from here...

Unknown said...

I think what you're doing is great, there are so many people that don't make the effort to understand the thoughts and feelings of those experiencing life any differently than themselves and when they do, they take the pain on as their own... it's hard being one of those people that people avoid because of that, my own sister won't have a relationship stating that my life is just too painful for her to deal with.... that's disempowering for me and seems to just make more hurdles for me to overcome to get to where I want to be. It's a hamster wheel of sorts....
The best way to get over things is to talk about it, get it out of your head and make it real with language, then leave it where it belongs in the past and if we keep it in our heads it's hard to leave it in the past... one of the reasons I decided to try and finish my psychology degree...
I stress watching certain movies and hearing certain things still but I know I can make a difference too if I can get past that.
Love u and all you do....
Talk to you soon.

hopeless in Spring Creek said...

I'm definitely NOT a bibliomaniac. I struggle to get most any book read. I'm afraid I feel like I am wasting time if I'm not sewing, or knitting, crocheting, etc. But I am thoroughly enjoying our ladies book club. We have read a variety of books. We've just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy. Next we will be reading Remains of the Day(this was my choice) I'm afraid I just don't care to read anything that would traumatize me. I'd rather enjoy my new grandbaby's coos and laughter. We are so blessed to have him.(FDA has just banned the stuff they were giving him in the hospital. Seems to have caused problems in other babies as well and actually killed a few babies).
But I am involved in a project to send quilts to children in an orphanage in India..children with HIV. So maybe that will count as having pulled my head out of the sand abit.

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.