HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Monday, May 9, 2011

CURRENTLY READING.......I FINISHED [THE HELP].

[THE HELP] by Kathryn Stockett is much lighter reading than the last novel I posted about, [Siberian Education.] Set in Jackson, Mississippi in 1963, it tells the story of being a black maid at the time. Also involved is the white socialite who senses a change in society coming and becomes a part of it by secretly collecting stories to write a kind of tell-all book about it. It is a charming story but not a fairy tale, peppered generously with bits of culture shock.

It is one of those books that can leave you wondering, perhaps for a very long time, whatever happened to this person or that? How are these characters getting along now? They become part of your heart. They become family (like the Bennett girls in [Pride and Predjudice]) and perhaps that is why it is difficult to write a review. It's kind of like talking about your own life and everybody in it. It can't be done in a few sentences.

The reading is so easy, no dull spots, nothing to make you wince or want to skip a page. It is always heartwarming and often bittersweet. I can almost guarantee you will love this book. I think also we should read it to understand a very big part of our history and the culture at the time. It helps to look at our own biases and feelings for each other. Mostly we can learn quite a lot about love and fairness. I'm sure I will want to read this again soon. It stays with you.

3 comments:

Diane said...

I read the excerpt from in on B&N some time back and it DID sound good. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Blessings, Diane

Judie and George said...

I read that one this year too! I didn't expect like it, but I did. Did you notice the little references to things about that time period? It was like a reminder of a time period I remember, event though I have never lived in the south.

marie said...

What I love is that I was there. I remember where I was when Pres. Kennedy was shot. I remember those times, the goings on. It is a bit nostalgic for me. Takes me back to where I was at that time. There is a movie coming out in August. I have high hopes for it, although I have learned that movies rarely meet my expectations after I have read the book. Glad you are enjoying it.

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.