Tonight, the American Movie Channel broadcast the old make of True Grit. It showed at 6:00 here and Khrys and I were out buying groceries so we were just a bit late getting back. I wanted to call many of you and let you know as it seems there are so many fans of the 'classic' version, 'classic' meaning it starred John Wayne and Glen Campbell with Kim Darby. I just have to say that if you really liked that version, and you aren't stalwart about keeping things in their most original form, the new make so surpasses the 'classic' one. Jeff Bridges has developed the character of Rooster Cogburn, the U S Marshall to an nth degree, giving Cogburn faults and virtues to ponder in a much more in-depth study. Matt Damon as the Southern Gentleman Texas Ranger also makes a good deal of sense in his attempts to run things his way. I think Hailee Steinfeld is...how can I say it?.... really good. She carries the weight of making things work from beginning to end and does a lovely well-paced job. I don't see why she isn't given a more appreciative billing. She is good. There is a lot of noise [shooting] and some graphic shots involving the barbarous life of the old west, so please do not take young or sensitive people to see these. But it is well tempered with the lovely language that is everpresent giving characters integrity and dignity. The dialogue truly plays a role in the focus of this film.
It was fun to have seen the new movie just this last Thursday and then have the 'classic' version to watch tonight. The stories are not pulled apart from each other. You don't have to wonder why this or that is different or missing. It is easy to enjoy.....the roughness is appropriate to what's happening, as opposed to simply being gratifying. You know how that can go awry. Yes, Ben, I realize it is a product of the Coen Brothers. How could I not know that with you and Khrystine to guide me? It is GOOD!!!!
I heartily recommend this excellent presentation of a film that many are talking about and anxious to see. Enjoy.
[Sometimes the only word that fills the bill for me is "good." It just works the best.]
6 years ago
4 comments:
GOOD MORNING! Thank you for visiting me yesterday and I love your Oscar Wilde quote....what other alternatives are there!!!!
Anita
I love the music from the original. As you may recall, I had the album and listened to it all the time. I too love the new actors, but I wonder if evolution doesn't have something to do with that. At the time I loved it(and still do).After seeing Bridges as Cogburn, John Wayne seemed pretty refined. I remembered it as being so much more colorful, but as I was watching last night I was very disappointed. I have very vivid remembrances of spectacular autumn colors. Maybe it is just the difference of a TV screen versus the "Big" screen, but I was disappointed. If you look at some of the pictures I posted, or rather John posted on facebook from our vacation in October you will see what I was looking for. We were right in the same place that it was filmed, both filmings. But, although I am not a Cohen Bros. fan, my children definitely are, I have to say this would be my favorite film from the Bros. PS I am loving this Star of the East music you are playing. Where on earth did you find this?
Hi, Rosalie, I don't watch a lot of movies but I really did enjoy reading your write-up of the remake of True Grit. Hope you're well, thanks so much for looking in on me. Diane
Thanks Rosalie... We may just have to see that one!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment