HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

SEEING....NOT BELIEVING

I've been doing some Christmas shopping lately...not much... but getting out into the stores. They are crowded and the traffic is rather terrible, like any other year. Stores seem to be full of plenty of Christmas lovely surprises and decorations to buy. We bought a new tree with all the trimmings.

Tonight my sisters and nieces and I chatted and dined at Litza's for old time's sake. When we left, it was not yet 5:00 o'clock and not quite dark, a magic time of day to see the sights and lights of the season. Homes displays get more lavish every year. Tonight?? Hmmm.....almost none. Can that be right? Perhaps it was too early in the day. Still, it was plenty dark....and it is well past the First of December. Lights in our town have always been up and sparkling way before December starts. Sadly, it was all too evident that there were almost no houses decorated, on the outside at least, for Christmas. One can only ask, bewilderedly, "Why not???" When Papabear and I got to the store, the familiar display of holiday trees and lights in the window just wasn't there. These windows have always been full of Christmas trees. No decorated front lawns and outside trees. No beautiful pine trees filled with lights. No stars of the East shining boldly across the way. No Silver Bells anywhere. Minimal decor on the business streets! There has been such little music in the stores this year, that if there is something playing, which is barely audible, it's a pleasant surprise. I've heard there are no caroling choirs in the malls anymore, no school programs, no mention of the Christ child anywhere. Indeed, it is rumored that it's illegal for public places to mention what Christmas is really about. Wishing someone "Merry Christmas" publicly is frowned upon when it's shouted out joyfully. Religious cards have almost become extinct. Is this a bit bizarre to you??

I miss the music, the silver bells, the excitement on children's faces. I really miss the lights, the celebration, the Hope, the Wonder, the Awe of it all. Basically, what remains seems nothing more than shopping frenzy madness. That just doesn't do much for me. What happened??

4 comments:

Benjamin said...

Bummer, eh? I've always thought it was adulthood, but maybe it's at least partially the generation I'm living in that makes it hard to feel Christmasy. It's been that way for many years now. Even before moving to Florida, where there is no snow ... which probably doesn't help.

Anyway, I like the dark blue background behind the text on your blog. That certainly helps with readability. It was a bit difficult before, in my opinion.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sad isn't it, Rosalie???? Our country is changing so much --and it just upsets me so much to see that 'we' cannot celebrate CHRISTMAS anymore much--at least publicly. We need to take our country back --and be able to celebrate what we want to without intrusion. Our forefathers fought four our country --and gave us the freedoms we have loved so much.

We here in rural TN still have a town Christmas Parade --and we still say Merry Christmas (instead of Happy Holidays). Thank God for that.

Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

I just thought it was life... political correctness will be our downfall... besides that, the economy being what it is, no one can afford the extra's, the power bill, half of us will be lucky to be able to buy gifts let alone decorate... Christmas has definitely lost its magic, I think its just a lot more noticable this year. Its sad, I wish my kids could experience Christmas like I did when I was a kid and it was magical, and we did go caroling and take the neighbors cookies... the world is in a sad state.

Diane said...

I say Merry Christmas! If it offends somebody - tough! That's what it is - the celebration of Christ's birth and if that bothers some people what are they celebrating? Good to hear from you Rosalie. Diane

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.