
Khrystibear, Dudder, and I were driving around the old neighborhood yesterday. We like to go past the old house when we're about the area and see what's up. The above picture is of OUR old house...how it looked when we lived there. I didn't take pictures of how it is now, but I'll tell you a little. To those of you who check in here, I'll just say that I'm posting this so my little bears who live out of state can have an idea of what's going on. This was their grandparent's house before Papabear and I bought it from my sisters years ago after Mama and Daddy passed away. It has always been a big part of our lives. When we drove past the back entrance we realized things had changed, and also, it would be quite easy to walk back and take a look. So, we decided to do that.
First off, the roses have all been taken out. That's sad, I know. It's what some of you were afraid would happen. It may be that they have been cut waaaay down for the winter, but I don't quite think so. So they are gone. The color accents on the window and brick ledges have been painted a sage green color, except for the recesses on the posts that are black. The curly iron work has also been given a new coat of black paint. It looks nice.
. As you know, the added room and back porch had begun to pull away from the main house. It was never visible to us, but these have been shored up against the house and given new paneling, windows, and door. It all looks very crisp and new. There is no visible 'under the house' space like there was before. And everything that was in the back yard has been taken out.....the shed, gardening, and all those patio spaces. Right now it is just mud........But, it is surprising to see how large it is, or always was. I had no idea. The entrance, next to Dennis's looks functional and inviting. I'm confident it will look really good when it's all finished up. Also, I'm pretty sure Dennis won't be using that access like he' always been used to doing. Wahoo!!!! Finallly!!! We Win!!!
So after all this, of course we had to peek into the windows. There is a very nice bathroom downstairs, a nice size, in the further north/west corner. We also can see a room and closet doors where the old fruit room used to be. The big old Octopus furnace has been removed. That was Papabear's biggest worry...how to get that out and replaced. These guys seem to have done it....simple!! Upstairs you can see new wood flooring. I had heard the new owners discussing Brazilian Wood when they were looking around. It's darker, and very beautiful. The fireplace has been framed in light-colored grey stone that reaches out into the room and matches the flooring in the kitchen. The arch now goes straight up to the ceiling...no more curve. Wallsl have been painted a sand color with bright white on the woodwork. The old front bedroom wall no longer has a door. Instead there is an entrance centered in that wall that opens into the room. I can imagine a very nice den there now that seems just perfect, and it really opens up the front rooms/or room now.
All in all, I feel like the house is very revitalized and full of fresh new energy. There are a few of you bears who didn't want to see the house change. Lots of memories came from there. But it feels good. It's renewed and seems happy. Our new apartment also fills all our needs and we are happy and content. This change has been a good thing.
2 comments:
I was hoping for a photo update to go with the description. Just keep telling yourself that it belongs to someone else now. My kitchen upstairs has been totally changed. She painted the cabinets, put up some tile, and painted the walls. It is a different place now. When I go there, I don't feel like it is mine anymore. . . and it isn't.
I was expecting a different outcome as I read this. How nice to see that some people bought it who are taking great pride in it. My grandparents house which is my heart of heart homes was torn down a few years ago. Grandpa had built it with his own hands. It was log. I drove by whenever I'd go over to Buffalo to see Mother in the nursing home. Finally, it was gone. And so was the hearth of my childhood. No question about it it really hurt and I cried a lot. But now I don't feel the draw at all to go back to that town, it was what held me there in my heart. Houses are like that, they're more than houses. They're places of your heart. Diane
Post a Comment