HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

VISITING THE VET WITH A PUGNACIOUS PUG

Our doggie has a cough, kennel cough they called it. Last night Toby, our pugnacious black pug, was going around making sounds like a bull elephant trumpeting. It wouldn't stop. Eventually he was gagging and throwing up. So about 8:30 we loaded him up and took him to an emergency vet clinic. We were afraid he had something stuck in his throat that was choking him. Naturally by the time we got him checked in he wasn't making the noises and seemed to be alright, just like my kids would do at the doctor. You know, you finally decide you'd better take your child to a doctor and when you get there, your child seems just fine and you find yourself kinda hoping he'll start acting a bit more ill.Toby got what looked like a fairly thorough exam. Khrys answered lots of questions. The doctor sat on the floor to talk to Toby. I thought that was cool. Toby was diagnosed with kennel cough. The amusing aspect of this was that taking the dog to a doctor was so much the same as taking your child to a pediatrician.....same questions, same diagnosis, same explantion...it's a virus, gets worse at night, etc.....even the same medication...amoxicillin and cough syrup as needed, with codein. It's a hoot!! I listened and thought to myself, I've been through this dozens of times with my kids. Toby was scared and tried to resist being looked at, barked and complained a lot, and ran around like he was just fine after everything was over. And, it's just as expensive....$138.00 for this visit. Too much for a visit to a vet, I think, but he's worth it if we've got it.
Toby isn't much better today. He didn't sleep very well and that kept Khrys and Papabear awake. He's not eating much. But he'll be okay. Khrys is learning quite a bit about 'child' care and the need to stay with the patient and care for him constantly. That's good for her. She really loves that little pug.

6 comments:

Judie and George said...

I hope he gets better. Whether its sick kids or pets, it's all the same. Having a pet is so much like having a child. Cheryl and I have started referring to our old people as "aging toddlers" because they are also a lot like children. And I don't mean the fun part, or the cute part. I mean that other part. At least pets and kids are cute. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, maybe my eye is a bit jaundiced right now. That's sad!

JoAnna said...

What an adventure! How is he about taking his medicine? (I'm thinking of the scene in Peter Pan... haha). I can't believe it costs that much! I hope he's alright and gets feeling better.

mudderbear said...

It' good to see you here, judie. How are you feeling?
You're right....it was funny to realize there isn't much difference, except pets are more obedient. I don't suppose you're overly jaundiced. It just gets hard. I am concerned about a couple of family members,too,who are just obstinate and downright mean...(not suggesting yours are), but most times I just don't even want to talk to them. How's that for being compassionate.?

mudderbear said...

hey jak.. I think Toby is calming down now. Khrys gets his medicine down him with his food. I'm trying to remember what was in Peter Pan. We're hoping to recoup some money with the insurance on Toby, but this may not be an emergency per se.

JoAnna said...

Maybe it was in the play or in Hook... I can't remember either, but I remember a whole thing about making the lost boys and Peter take their med'cine because that's just what mothers have their kids do. It seems like Peter just didn't want to take it because THAT's what kids do. Perhaps I'm making it all up! My brain is mush. At least I amuse myself :)

mudderbear said...

I remember. They took a tonic everynight or something. And Nana the dog had to get the Darling children to take theirs everynight. I remember her following them around with a spoon full of tonic in her mouth trying not to spill it. Good point. I keep thinking of trying to get Khrys to take hers when she was little. It's easier with Toby. She just stuffs it into a meatball

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.