HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Saturday, October 15, 2011

This is a sampler that was made by my Greatx3Grandmother. She started it when she lived in Maine in 1811 and took it with her across the plains with the pioneers. It was finished in 1848 after she was living in the Salt Lake Valley.
Last night it was my great pleasure to attend a book review given by the author about this fine Lady. This sampler was on display there. It was so awesome to be able to look at it and think of her putting in every stitch over all those years. And believe me, those stitches are very tiny, maybe not even 1/8th of an inch. That's really tiny, right?? The border is also embroidered with the same care. You see, you should never throw things out. This is now 200 years old.
Grandmother Patty has a large progeny, many descendents. She was a practicing midwife from an early age and kept a meticulous journal all her life. It was this journal that was transposed into a book for all of them to enjoy. I have the book and have read it and marked it repeatedly. This woman was truly awesome. She brought herself across the plains, driving her own ox team by herself. She was fifty-six years old when she started out. I have to ask myself what am I doing at my approximate age to her.
Anyway, it was truly a thrill. I'm happy to share with you.

The author mentioned here is Donna Toland Smart.

3 comments:

Diane said...

It's wonderful to see history coming together like that, isn't it. Your grandmotherx3 must have been a remarkable woman. The sample is incredible, I can't imagine the value of it. Hope you're having a good weekend. Hugs, Diane

Karen said...

Oh, what a remarkable woman! She was 56 when she drove a team of oxen across the country? Oh, my, this gives me high hopes! I still have time to make something of myself.

What an intricate sampler and a fascinating post!

sagebrushandsneezes said...

You saw the actual sampler? I am soooooo jealous!

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.