This book is getting quite interesting, indeed. Consider the following, taken from page 181 under a sub-heading "Heuristics."Reading a series of related words can influence behavior. In one test a group of people walked more slowly after reading words that suggested elderly. When reading words that could be considered more aggressive, they were more likely to be a bit pushy and interrupt in the conversations they had after class. Telling students they are bright and smart, etc. helps them do better. "If you tell somebody stories about high achievement just before they perform some test or exercise, they will perform better than if you had not told them those stories. If you merely use the words "succeed," "master" and "achieve" in a sentence, they will do better. If you describe what it is like to be a college professor, they will do better on knowledge tests. On the other hand, if you play into negative stereotypes, they will do worse." pages 180-181
What this is all about is... environment. Make it good, comforting, encouraging, whatever you need. I'm thinking if I wake up every day and immediately start thinking about what I haven't got done...yet!The bathroom decor... I am probably setting myself up for failure. And it seems like these things do just go on and on for me. Waking up excited to finish a project has to have a much better effect....Changing the environment can change my attitude.
I'm afraid it is easy for me to go on floating downstream in my tiny boat, never changing anything so I can get to shore. Is it too difficult? Do I want to get to shore? Perhaps after all, I won't like it when I do. And Oh My Gosh.....I am having an epiphany. I am suddenly remembering voices from my childhood asking that same question, "How do you know that's what you want???" I was so NOT VALIDATED through so much of my early life. Well, there you go!!! This outpouring has had an interesting effect. We need to know our ideas are good or at least we have a right to them. Please tell your children it's okay to think. Ahh, what a catharsis. If you are still with me, thank you. Honestly, I originally thought this was a good theme for a post that you might enjoy. By now you probably think I am truly a basket case. But I'm just saying...Change Your Environment and see what happens.
2 comments:
Oh, I think this is so true. Very interesting, too. Dine
Oh this is wonderful! Don't apologize at the end! Rayne just recently started really riding her tricycle and I have been so proud. You can see it in her that she is proud and having fun and knows she accomplished something. But, she gets tired or frustrated and keeps stopping and saying "I can't." It's been driving me crazy today! She CAN and I keep telling her she can, even as I give her the little nudge of help she is seeking for... well, now I'm babbling but it's all the same thing.
I think this has a lot to do with things I'm feeling and fearing lately too. Just the words and ideologies of people around me are contrary to what I believe in and am trying so hard to accomplish... and perhaps I'm starting to give in to them and question myself and maybe it's not because I'm weak but because that's how it works and I need to get out or change it or something....
Post a Comment