
A dear friend just made a comment regarding "twenty years ago." It suddenly seems like such a long time. What was happening in my world twenty years ago that was so different from what is happening now?? A few more than twenty years ago I had four children, not five yet, and no grandchildren. As I recall, life was promising and I felt healthy. I was YOUNG!!!!. We had a good launch on our life. The downside was that I was still beholden to the idea of who I thought I was, and was struggling to accomplish a better me. I still worry about that.
Twenty years later, I have one more daughter, with a grandaughter and grandson almost her same age. I feel like we are all good friends who can depend on each other for support and love. We are close and family responsible. There are now nine or ten more grandchildren and one great grandaughter, new babies, and added friendships. Many loved ones have gone on to the next world. I don't worry so much about who I am, but I see a lot lacking in what I've accomplished.
I feel more content with life. I am much less judgemental about myself. There are regrets that I knew would be here all those years ago. I wish I would have learned to dance and play the piano really well, for example...Not necessarily at the same time, teehee. Perhaps my legs would be stronger now. My house and 'style' should be developed and polished by now..... it isn't. I have decided that I am what Khrystibear and I call BoHo style....Bohemian. But what that means to me is much more refined than what I would bet you are thinking. It means I like a more free-form style for myself, with freedom to bend the fashion rules a little bit and get a bit flamboyant. I am not much of a hippie, and really this isn't all so important. My friends are much more diverse now, mainly because I usually love everybody. My kids are really good friends with me, for which I am so grateful. It is so nice that they will actually be seen in public with me. ^.^)
I don't worry so much about life. By now it has proven to show up everyday and we have managed to get through with not so many terrible problems. I do have a fear of having no money, though. It just makes sense to me that one should worry about that. My religious views are definite, although the more I learn about more to know....yes that's what I'm trying to say....the easier it is to wonder about things and think "what if...".
So what have you learned in the last little while?... maybe not twenty years for all of you 'cause that might make you three years old, or only ten......but you pick a number. Things change, but sometimes they don't change much. What do you think? Can you imagine being as far down the road of life as I am right now?
The picture above was sent to me thru email. I don't know who to give credit to.
3 comments:
Wow! Why don't I have a brain and the ability to think? Or rather, the ability to express myself?
But, well, I'll have to think about that tomorrow.....I have 3 little quilts to finish to send to the orphanage in India....
Sorry to take up your space but I just can't leave without saying a thing or two..for me the last 10, well 11 years now have been such an overwhelming time of life. I never dreamed there would be such pain and frustration. Big kids have BIG problems. When the children are little there's not much to deal with that can't be taken care of with lots of hugs and kisses. But when they get bigger you just have to stand by and ache as you watch them struggle through their own challenges. Is there life after 50? Definitely, but it's nothing like I imagined! Better go pull out the gratitude journal and get re-focussed! Thanks for writing, I love getting these little insights into your world. I miss you!
Twenty years ago? Seems like yesterday to me since time is flying by. That was 1991.. I was in Texas working about 16 hours a day.. Had no grandchildren --in fact, none of my kids were married at that time. But--one got married in 1992 and I had my first grand in 1993...
Met George and got married in 2001--so that is when my life truly began.
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment