HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Saturday, February 26, 2011

I'm posting this so I'll remember it. If you knew how bad my instant recall is getting you would know why this works. Anyway, I'm learning a lot about diabetes since my oldest bear, Dudder, was diagnosed with Type II . I've actually learned more about this in the last two months than in all the years I spent with Grandma [Dorothy] and her battle as well as basically worrying and waiting for Papabear to be pronounced with it. What I want to remember is this: This morning I had my usual breakfast of cereal/banana. It never did make me feel very wide awake and ready to go. It's as if I'm trying to shift into gear. Then I remember that Dudder explained that with carbs you have to eat a protein with it. She does that all day every day, every meal. The two work together to make energy and get the insulin working better. So I had a handful of nuts and felt better right away.

The second thing to tell you about....the just mentioned nuts. Khrystibear and I are shopping a local 'health food' store. We thought to try nuts. They are not toasted or treated. They are raw. We bought cashews and joyfully took them home to see how they taste. They taste Wonderful! Not only that, but a handful was completely satisfying. That has never happened to me with nuts. It is so easy to just keep eating them forever. I wondered why that might be. Perhaps, it is because there are no oils to mask the flavor or hinder the absorption of the vitamins found in them. I ate some nuts out of a can and could see that there seems to be a constant need to eat these toasted and treated kind that seems similer to the need to keep drinking that you often get drinking sodas. Sodapop never quenches your thirst, does it?
With our concern for Dudder's diabetes, Khrystibear and I have raised our consciousness about how we eat. Dudder is teaching us a lot. Also, Ben's health trouble lately has also shown us what good things can happen by changing your diet just a little bit. He has cut down fats and increased fiber and lost a considerable amount of weight in a rather short period of time. I don't want to forget what we're learning so, you know, typing about it helps it to stick in my head. And besides, It's My Opinion and It's True. ^.^) Hope you find it informative.

4 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Rosalie, My blood sugar shot way UP in 2004 --and I have had to watch it ever since... I'm doing fine --but you are right... You have to watch what you eat... I also have to drink ALOT of water --and that helps...

Sounds like your family is doing well with the 'new' eating habits...Keep up the good work.
Hugs,
Betsy

Diane said...

Thanks for the great hints. My husband has borderline diabetes brought on by prednisone and he loves to snack - usually nuts in the can. I'm going to the health food store tomorrow!!! Diane

JoAnna said...

Good information.
I keep thinking about Karen and trying to figure out how to feed myself and family. Rayne eats no protein... well, cheese and milk, but not much. Lately I've been wondering if her little mood swings and orneriness is due to nutritional concerns. I just don't know how to feed a two year old! She's supposed to eat what we eat, but... that's not worth much most the time or it's too spicy or too whatever. I'm babbling. Just wish I'd figure something out! Some days I feel like I've done well for us, but most days I feel... well, dumb...

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Just wanted to thank you for your visits and the kind comments that you always leave!! I smile every time that I see your name!!
Thanks for brightening my day!!

Hugs,
Debbie

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.