HOPEFUL

HOPEFUL
private photo of mudderbear 2011

one thing is for sure: YOU CAN'T KISS YOURSELF. mudderbear 2011

Thursday, May 20, 2010

This is a postcard picture of Main Street,Afton, Wyoming, circa 1934. My friend, Diane, posted a story on her blog yesterday about her young life that so paralleled my own and I told her I would post some pictures about the snow in Star Valley when I was very young. I think it's fun to realize, in the picture above, that there was no cleared roads then like we have now. They might be plowed, but folks just drove over the snow and packed it down. I kind of miss that sometimes now, in the city, where even your sidewalk has to be cleared within a set timeframe.

This picture is of me and my sisters, all three of them and Daddy's car. I am the older little one, with the pretty black shoes. I remember those shoes. You can see how much snow there was, and always was. It came for the whole winter season. But I also find it interesting that we don't have coats on and our legs are bare. That must be why I love cool weather and I am so intolerant to warm temperatures. Everyone is squinting because the sun is so bright, being reflected off all that snow.


Yes, the snow came to stay. I told Diane that sometimes the inside of the windows in the house would be frosted over. It made a beautiful snowflake pattern that I liked to scratch off with my fingernails. But I don't think I was ever cold. We had loving parents and a warm home and we were always comfortable and fine.
Thanks Diane for the trip down Memorylane.
















2 comments:

Judie and George said...

Looks like a wonderful place to live. It makes me think of my time in Alaska. I loved the snow. In the fall I just waited with anticipation for the first snowfall. I'd watch the white in the mountains until I knew it was almost our turn. It was so much fun being inside, cozy and warm, and watching the snow fall.

Did you ever wax your windows and make things at Christmas? That reminds me of scraping frost. We sure had a simpler life.

Diane said...

This is such a nice post, mudderbear. I love the old photos, they just take us back to another time, even weatherwise. I, too, thought it was interesting that none of you had coats or even snowboots on. Things were done differently then, weren'they. Thanks for posting this. Diane

OUR FAMILY MANTRA


"Sometimes he would get so swept up in ideas, you had to chase him around with a butterfly net."

quote from page 184 [THE SOCIAL ANIMAL] by David Brooks

Look me up on Librarything. Read my reviews.