When Stephen and Heather were here on the Fourth,it came up in conversation, about the twins, that when things are getting a bit revved up and crazy at their house, Stephen will take off his slippers. Carefully hurling the shoe across the room, with a hunter's expertise, he lands it on the child in question to get his attention and let the boy know that Daddy means what he's saying.
Do you want to talk about little habits that come down through the generations? Cousin Glade was sitting in Mama's living room several years ago, his hand dangling over the edge of the chair, pointing his hand up and down, up and down, for emphasis in his conversation. This is exactly what his Great Grandpa Russ did. When Khrystibear was a baby she would twist her hands around and around in circles just like her Grandmother June did. There are other mimicings scattered throughout the family, mannerisms and looks that are carbon copies of family members the one mimicing doesn't even know. For example....
Sometimes, when a couple of siblings got into a chase-about in our house, after trying to stop the fight or tickle attack, Mama would take off her shoe, take a dead-eye aim and hurl it across the room. She never missed.
Usually she hit right on the head. It always stopped what was going on. The odd thing is she always aimed for whomever was being pursued or picked on. "What are you hitting me for?" was always the question. Why didn't she aim for the perpetrator, the guy doing the 'attacking'??? Mama would say in firm tones, "Well, you shouldn't be letting her do that to you." ????????!!!!????
Stephen, naturally, had never seen this going on with his Grandma. It was a discipline she only needed with her immediate children, never the grandchildren. Stephen wasn't copying his Grandma, that he knew of. But he is copying her methods of dealing with kids when he hurls those slippers like a Wild Bill shot. Genes are mischevious little stinkers. I love to see what comes up and as for Stephen, well, that's my baby boy.!!
6 years ago
6 comments:
that's too funny... because the boys have started throwing their flip flops in response... on any given day it's raining footwear...
OH NO! That's not how it works!!!
You'd better duck!
my kids started that habit by throwing the matchbox cars while I was driving... shoes are an improvement, they don't usually require stitches.
haha thats funny, hunter always throw his shoes at me whenever he gets mad at me
Does this mean I can start throwing shoes at people?
I love the family "resemblances" that are found. I can imagine Grandma doing that! She was so funny. Or mean? I'm not sure. I found her quite charming!
she never did get mean, but she had to be firm somehow. I wonder if there are grandparents going back further that she inherited that trick from.
Post a Comment