It has been my amusement in the past to study a bit of European history, especially history of the Middle Ages. I studied,for example, Eleanor of Aquitaine or Queen Phillipa of England. I also studied most of the Kings of England and the British Isles. I don't think it was easy to be king or queen of anywhere. There were so many problems at any given moment and almost always somebody, somewhere wanted very much to get you assasinated. (Sounds a little like living with a spouse and children...haha)A queen or king, baron or baroness, anyone in charge of a group, which could be as large as a country, had tremendous pressure to perform. Add your own adverbs here for whatever paints your own personal picture of just how they should be expected to perform. The point is he/she ruled a country, or part thereof, and could not escape the responsibilities inherent therein.
It has often occured to me that when one is placed in charge of a family, the inherent problems and demands are very similar. As a parent, for example, we are expected to govern and rule in much the same way. It has often helped me to think of myself in the same way as I imagined monarchy...strong but not unyielding, dignified always, ministering justice, meeting the demands for so many while maintaining a forsight for the goodness of all. When it all gets to be overwhelming, it helps to imagine myself a baroness. I pull myself up taller and try to at least feel regal. How would a mother of royalty conduct this business? What is fair? What is right? What is the long-term goal?
I type this out after reading your blogs where a couple of you sound so fatigued from everyday battles. Life is truly so overwhelming, almost all the time. I thought if you imagine yourself a queen, maybe some of life can become easier for you. A king or queen almost always had to stand alone. They had to be the leader, formost vulnerable in everything, sacrificing their own comforts and personal wishes for the good of others while commanding the best behavior of all. It is possible for you to assume the same posture. If you envision yourself this way, it might be easier to hold your head high and not let others bother you so much. (After all, you can visualize them as being beneath you at the same time.) You can move through your day with more confidence and determination, realizing your own value and role in life, maintaing your standards and protecting your dignity, conducting yourself with majesty.
Perhaps you will think of this as just a silly game. And you could very well be right. But we each play a role, and is it not a role mostly of our own choosing.? So, imagine you are descended from royalty and you have that role to play. Ready? Head up, back straight...........Don't let it all defeat you...you are the monarch...conduct yourself in a majestic mein. Do you feel better? Does is help? It's all government. It is your heritage.
Be majestic. You rule your own world.
6 years ago
2 comments:
I LOVE this idea. Because we talk about these things, I have done this a bit in the past and it DOES help. (Especially when working with peons and rifraff!) It is true though, especially when you think that we are children of God. I think we are obligated, in a good way, to walk a little taller, act a little stronger, smarter, braver. And really, it makes things easier to do so, not harder.
Life is a challenge. You are right about royalty having it hard. I've been thinking of my pioneer ancestors a lot lately. I really couldn't do what they did, so it makes my burdens seem lighter. I've also had them "speak" (I'm really not THAT crazy) to me and recognize some of the challenges I face and that makes me feel better about feeling worn down.
Anyway, great thought for a Monday morning! Thanks for sharing.
(P.S. I tried to post on your last post again last week. I was having such interesting thoughts. But, I had a cold and it all came out... well, not so good).
Once while praying, I was inspired to ask that I might be mindful of my royal heritage, on this earth and in heaven. It is what we are, after all.
Post a Comment